Time Commitment: 6-12 months
Deadline to Apply: (one month from the posting date)
The London Housing Registry has been a part of London for over 32 years, and part of our success is the strong commitment and loyalty of our volunteers. We are not only serving the chronic and episodic part of the homeless population but anyone who are experiencing a housing crisis.
Our volunteers are the stars of our programs, without them, we will never thrive. We will never reach three decades of community services, helping the most vulnerable segment of our community.
We are looking for the next star, a person who is passionate and dedicated. A person who is searching for meaningful volunteer opportunities. And finally, a person who has a genuine interest in helping others particularly those who are in housing crisis.
If you would like to gain experience in accounting in not for profit office environment and would like to jumpstart career exploration, this is the place to be!
Additional Opportunity Information:
Please email your resume, cover letter, and LHR volunteer application
***Please write ‘Volunteering @ LHR’ in the subject line of your e-mail***
- 1.5 Monthly hours / 12-month commitment, Public Transportation is Available
- No Parking (please arrange your parking if you wish to drive)
- Fragrance-free and open door office environment
- Office Hours Monday – Thursday 8 AM – 3 PM
- For more information about volunteering @ LHR, click here
The Volunteer Bookkeeper main responsibility is general bookkeeping (QuickBooks) and preparation of financial reports in accordance with GAAP and accounting best practices.
Details of Job Description:
- Post journal entries and reconcile accounts
- Prepare trial balance of books, maintain general ledgers and prepare financial statements
- Prepare tax returns and perform other bookkeeping services
- Prepare other statistical, financial and accounting reports.
- Positive, with a great “customer service” and a “can-do” attitude
- Strong in MS Office skills especially Word and Excel, QuickBooks
- Prepare Payables, Receivables and collection follow-up for any unpaid invoices
- Prepare and enter various journal entries as required
- Prepare ad-hoc financial reports and proposal budgets
- Banking and Reconciliations of bank and other accounts
- Prepare the submission of various government form and file remittances
- Manage QuickBooks system back-up using external storage
- Proactively provide Executive Director with regular updates and information
- The volunteer in this position reports to the Executive Director.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Post-secondary education in Business Accounting or 3 years solid employment experience in full-cycle general accounting practices
- Knowledge and experience with GAAP and Accounting Best Practice
- Knowledge of office equipment and ability to troubleshoot and fix problems
- Experience working in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment
- Excellent analytical and mathematical aptitude
- Exceptional organizational and multi-tasking skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High level of flexibility, initiative, judgment and problem solving abilities
- Excellent computer skills, word processing, and experience with database software, office and accounting programs i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point, QuickBooks and online apps such as PayPal, Eventbrite
- Certificate training in QuickBooks or three years accounting experience using QuickBooks in not for profit office environment
- Microsoft Word – Intermediate to Advanced
- Microsoft Excel – Intermediate to Advanced
- Adobe Acrobat – experienced
- Experience troubleshooting computer hardware and software
- Data Entry
- Hardware / Software
How to Apply
Email: Shelley Milos, Executive Director
Deadline to Apply: (until position is filled)
The London Housing Registry encouraged diversity in the workplace by encouraging open dialogue, acceptance, and tolerance of everyone’s belief, culture, gender issues and background. We encourage everyone to apply and those who are looking for meaningful volunteering!