Social Media/Blogger (Youth – 16 to 25)
Time Commitment: 6+ months (4 months as Junior Volunteer and 2 months as Senior Mentor)
Position Description: The London Housing Registry has been a part of London for over 32 years, and part of our success is the strong commitment and loyalty of our volunteers. We are not only serving the chronic and episodic part of the homeless population but anyone who are experiencing a housing crisis.
Our volunteers are the stars of our programs, without them, we will never thrive. We will never reach three decades of community services, helping the most vulnerable segment of our community.
We are looking for the next star, a person who is passionate and dedicated. A person who is searching for meaningful volunteer opportunities. And finally, a person who has a genuine interest in helping others particularly those who are in housing crisis.
If you would like to gain experience in social media blogging in community service organization and would like to jumpstart career exploration, this is the place to be!
Additional Opportunity Information:
Please email your cover letter, completed volunteer application form, and resume
***Please write ‘Volunteering @ LHR‘ in the subject line of your e-mail***
• 6 weekly hours / 6-month commitment
• Public Transportation is Available
• No Parking (please arrange your parking if you wish to drive)
• Fragrance-free and open door office environment
• Monday – Thursday 9 AM – 3 PM
How to Apply:
Email: Florencio Viray, Volunteer Manager
Deadline to Apply: (until position is filled)
• Social Media
• Communication / Writing
• Marketing / Public Relations
• Arts & Crafts
The Social Media/Blogger (Youth – 16 to 25) write short articles for our website blog page. The volunteer ‘s main responsibility is to maintain and increase our social media presence.
Details of Job Description:
• Write articles (200 words or less) about housing related topics weekly
• Post weekly articles to London Housing Registry web-site
• Create a quarterly newsletter and develop an electronic mailing list
• Promote the weekly blog posts using London Housing Registry social media accounts
• Create promotional materials about LHR that can use in social media
• Write short messages with links and photos to LHR social media accounts
• Maintain social media statistics (analytics) and report to Executive Director
• Research current social media trends and applications for possible usage
• Assists with current fundraising effort using social media
• Assists with the promotion of educational workshops using social media
• Update Bulletin Boards at reception and Resource Centre
• Develop, create and maintain a social media activity calendar
• Archive the London Housing Registry articles, old and current
• Create new promotional display materials for off-site outreach
• Create posters, flyers, and promotional materials for events if needed
Skills and Experience Required:
• Understanding of online “search” and its impact on social media content
• Currently publishing a personal blog or another form of digital content and or have interest in developing a blog
• Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication and presentation skills
• Education in Communication, Business or English and/or related work and personal experiences dealing with blogging and social media
• Willingness to learn the homeless issues, housing barriers and housing related legislation
• Knowledge of income support for low-income individuals and families (OW, ODSP, etc.)
• Knowledge of relevant copyright and trademark legislation
• Proficiency in MS Office (MSWord, Publisher, PowerPoint) and Prezi
• Have experience with relevant technology & reporting tools (e.g. Twitter Insights, Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, and or 3rd party social media apps)
• Experience working across social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest
• Basic Photo and Video editing (resizing, adding watermarks or bumpers, etc)
Required Qualifications/Training: Completed Secondary School Diploma; University or College education preferred but not a prerequisite.
Skills Preferred: Courses in journalism, public relation or marketing; social media expertise, web-site content experience, and/or related work and personal blogging experience.
The London Housing Registry encouraged diversity in the workplace by encouraging open dialogue, acceptance, and tolerance of everyone’s belief, culture, gender issues and background. We encourage everyone to apply and those who are looking for meaningful volunteering!
#LHR, #VolunteeringAtLHR, #ldnont