Outreach Intake Worker – My Sisters’ Place (Volunteer)
Time Commitment: 6+ months (4 months as Junior Volunteer and 2 months as Senior Mentor).
Position Description: . The London Housing Registry has been a part of London for over 32 years, and part of our success is the strong commitment and loyalty of our volunteers. We are not only serving the chronic and episodic part of the homeless population but anyone who are experiencing a housing crisis.
Our volunteers are the stars of our programs, without them, we will never thrive. We will never reach three decades of community services, helping the most vulnerable segment of our community.
We are looking for the next star, a person who is passionate and dedicated. A person who is searching for meaningful volunteer opportunities. And finally, a person who has a genuine interest in helping others particularly those who are in housing crisis.
If you would like to gain experience in front-line social service and would like to jump start career exploration into social services, this is the place to be!
The Outreach Intake Worker will conduct outreach services off-site to our partner agencies. The volunteer will work for four months as Junior Volunteer and eventually progress to Senior Volunteer. Afterward, mentoring opportunities will be given to further enhance leadership skills.
The Outreach Intake Worker – My Sisters’ Place is required to work 10:00 am till noon on Tuesday, weekly. The volunteer must be flexible with hours as scheduling can be unpredictable at times.
Details of Job Description:
• Assists and interviews off-site clients who are interested in private sector rental units
• Provides information about The London Housing Registry’s program and services
• Makes appointment for client to view unit as deemed appropriate
• Provide information about community programs and services
• Provides description information about vacant rental units
• Provides additional referrals as necessary
• Facilitates educational workshops
• Attends staff meetings and others as assigned
• Maintain statistical information for monthly reports
• Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience Required:
• Knowledge of homeless issues and housing barriers
• Knowledge of The Residential Tenancies Act 2006
• Knowledge of Landlord Tenant Board Procedures and Policy
• Knowledge of housing related legislations (provincial and municipal by-laws)
• Knowledge of income support for low-income individuals and families (OW, ODSP, etc.)
• Tact and diplomacy are required to resolve complex problems and sensitive issues
• Adaptability to deal with a diverse client population and sensitive information
• Excellent communication, problem-solving and presentation skills in order to relate effectively with social agencies and other groups
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interview and communicate with a diverse population having widely differing needs and requirements
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent Writing and computer skills (MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint)
Volunteer Opportunity Information:
Please email your cover letter, completed volunteer application form, and resume
***Please write ‘Volunteering @ LHR‘ in the subject line of your e-mail***
• 6 weekly hours / 6-month commitment
• Public Transportation is Available
• No Parking (please arrange your parking if you wish to drive)
• Fragrance-free and open door office environment
• Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9 AM – 3 PM
• Volunteer Hours: Tuesday 10 AM – Noon Weekly, Flexibility with schedule is an asset
How to Apply:
Email: Florencio Viray, Volunteer Manager
Deadline to Apply: (until position is filled)
• Data Entry
• Leadership Development
• Communications / Writing
• Mentoring / Tutoring
• Referrals Public Speaking / Facilitation
• Project Management
• Peer Support
Required Qualifications/Training: Post-secondary education in Sociology, Psychology, Community Development, or a Social Services Certificate from a Community College and/or related work experience
The London Housing Registry encouraged diversity in the work place by encouraging open dialogue, acceptance, and tolerance of everyone’s belief, culture, gender issues and background. We encourage everyone to apply and those who are looking for meaningful volunteering!
#LHR, #ldnont, #volunteering@LHR, #volunteering, #volunteeringAtLHR, #MSP, #MySistersPlace